Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ebb and Flow

point counterpoint, action reaction, stop and go.

There is a lot of that in Hong Kong. For me it's very conscience. Crossing the street is a dance of other people and traffic. I wonder if the people who live here even think about it anymore. they do it 50 times a day every day.

It was another boring day at school. We still haven't started to do anything. Tomorrow is the real first day. I exchanged my book's from form 4 for form 6 book's. I'm ready to fight the new year. ready to weather the storm that is school. (i hope.) It should be good though.

It is raining today... It's the first time it's rained since I've been here. it's really more of a drizzle... but it counts... it's very cloudy and thankfully it's cooled down some today... the atmosphere is strange a cool and warm mixture always tinted with the dampness of the rain.

Hong Kong is very much an Umbrella Cultrue... unlike Seattle... Eveyone carries a small umbrella in their bag... weather for sun or for rain it's always on hand.

The busses here are much simpler than back home... I'm already confident enough to ride the bus into Wan Chai and back. Where as the busses in Seattle take a Phd to navigate. They are all clearly numbered and like everything else can be paied for with your octopus pass.

My school gave me an RFID card wich is my Student ID for now. It doesn't have my picture (yet) and is unerving and annoying for me... they don't take roll at my school you scan your RFID when you walk in the front gate and again when you leave... so they will know if your even one second late...

It's amazing the proliferation of technology into every day life here... it's not that they are very far ahead in what they can do, but they are light year's ahead at doing it in everyday life...

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged, becasue I loaned War for the Oaks to an Italian girl at the beach (she didn't have anything to read and wasn't swimming) It's good so far... But i'm only 40 pages in...

I'm reading Harry Potter to my 10 year old brother and the rest of the family. Sandy my host mom who tought english for 10 years is very keen on having me read in english out loud to the kids. I tryed to read Harry Potter to Adriel but he doesn't understand all the words...

It's strange to think that english isn't his first language when he can already speak it so well. Adrein seems to like it but we are only one chapter in.

All this week school starts at 7:40 so I have to leave the house at 7 which mean's waking up at 6:30.

Much too early to be waking up for school espically a school you didn't sign up for....
Although i suppose in a way i did... but what ever...

My school is a Christian school, I'm supprised that no one has figured out that I'm Jewish yet. I thought it would be a tip off that I have to read the Lord's Prayer out of the book... but I suppose they aren't looking at me...

I'm in the Destdedit house (sound's like destitute) for p.e. apparently it's this big competition inside of the school they have Volly Ball games and ches games and quiz games, and a track and feild meet and other competitions and who ever get's the most "marks" win's. I think it's annoying and unnessary... but i always thought school spirit was in High School.... But worse that that you are REQIRED to do a sport for your house... so i suppose i'm going to do Shot Put, Javalin, and Discus. So I can avoid running and swimming... wich are the only other two options....

Tomorrow's Wednesday.

Another day another adventure

(P.S. the picture at the top of my blog is from the Peak of Hong Kong Island At night)

1 comment:

MWR said...

Want to hear something funny? MI HS phoned (the infamous recorded message) to tell me that my son or daughter missed one or more periods of school today. Now I know they have our home phone number on speed dial. Apparently they were missing YOU as Eliana was in all her classes today. Some things never change...ciao!